+ Educational Background
His educational career began in 1969 when he enrolled at the Adrao International School, Victoria Island, Lagos for his primary education. He concluded this successfully and graduated in 1976 with a firm foundation. Thereafter, in September, 1976, he proceeded to the prestigious Baptist Academy, Shepherdhill, Ikorodu Road, Lagos for his secondary education and graduated in July, 1981. During this period, he obtained the WASC 'O' Levels Certificate with distinctions. Between September, 1981 and July 1983 he was a student at the Federal School of Arts & Science, Victoria Island, Lagos for his GCE 'A' Levels, he passed excellently.
In October 1983, he proceeded to the University of Benin, Benin City, Edo State, to study law. He graduated from this prestigious university in July 1986 as easily one of the best students in his set. Immediately after this, he enrolled at the Nigerian Law School, Lagos in September, 1986. Upon his completion of the Bachelor of Law programme at the Law School, he was called to the Nigerian Bar in October, 1987.
+ Professional Background
His professional background commenced in 1987 in Rivers State, Southern Nigeria. During his compulsory one year National Service, he was a state counsel in the office of the Director of Public Prosecution and also the office of Director, Civil Litigation. During this period, he developed a great passion for advocacy and he successfully secured the conviction of some felons. Having an exhaustive thirst for work he would aside from assignments from his primary posting at the DPP office request for more work from both the civil department and, even as far as the Legal Drafting and Legislative Department. Between October, 1988 and December 1988, he was a counsel in the firm of Rhodes & Rhodes, Lagos, not satisfied with his work load and willing to take a salary reduction, he thereafter in January, 1989 joined the firm of Abiola Oshodi & Company, Lagos State as a senior counsel.
In March 1996, he founded Pinheiro & Company, later metamorphosed into Pinheiro & Oguntade where he was a partner till he established his full fledged practice of Pinheiro & Company in 2001. He has been in active legal practice ever since and his practice cuts across a wide horizon, covering legal consultancy, advocacy, commercial and corporate practice, maritime, arbitration, insolvency, election petitions, matrimonial causes, industrial and labour disputes, intellectual property, real estate, banking and finance, probate and administration of estates, environmental law and land use and finally his passion, criminal prosecution.
Of utmost interest to Kemi Pinheiro's professional career is the eradication of, and fight against corruption. He is passionately committed to the eradication of corruption in Nigeria in all its facets and he is vigorously campaigning and championing the cause to rid Nigeria of this ill and instill discipline into the polity. To this end, he partnered with the anti-graft agency, The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission to prosecute high level corruption cases involving both high profile government officials and captains of industry. He is currently leading the prosecution teams against some ministers, senators, Banks' Managing Directors, permanent secretaries, legislators including permanent secretaries and other high ranking government officials for different infractions of law committed while holding various offices. He holds the fiat of the Attorney General of the Federation in this regard, what is more as an attestation to his unassailable integrity and respect to which he is held, he has also acted as sole arbitrator in various disputes.
+ Professional Qualifications and Appointments
He distinguished himself as an astute and disciplined advocate with high level of integrity and uprightness. In view of this, he was made a Notary Public within 11 years of his practice in 1998. Equally, between 1997 and 1998, he was appointed the Special Assistant to the Hon. Attorney General and Commissioner of Justice, Lagos. In 2002, he became a member of the Institute of Chartered Arbitrators of Nigeria and thereafter in 2011 he was elevated to a Fellow of the Institute. He was a Director of National Bank of Nigeria Plc (now Wema Bank) and also the Chairman of Nigerian Wire and Cable, a public company quoted on The Nigerian Stock Exchange. He is also on the Board of many companies in Nigeria. To cap it all, in recognition of his distinction in legal practice and the Nigerian Bar, he was elevated to the status of a Senior Advocate of Nigeria in 2006.
+ Papers Delivered
- Administration of the Rule of Law – “The Nigeria Example” delivered at the 2007 Annual Memorial Lecture of Late Jubril Martin;
- Developing your Litigation & Trial Advocacy Skills delivered at Dtalkshop’s 2-days Workshop on Thursday 22nd & Friday 23rd March, 2007
- Assessment of the Existing Laws Governing the Postal Sector delivered at the Consultative Stakeholders Workshop held at Sheraton Hotels and Towers Abuja, Nigeria ( 4th of April, 2007)
- Practical Law Office Skills delivered at the 3-days Young Lawyers Conference (April, 2008)
- Law as an Instrument of Change delivered at Chief Gani Fawehinmi Students’ Chambers Annual Chambers Conference (2009) at the University of Lagos, Akoka,Yaba
- Law of Libel delivered at the City People Media Talk Shop (February 2010)
- Managing Relationships - “Communicating with Partners & Clients” delivered at the Young Lawyers Conference on Friday 16th July, 2010
- Law and Advocacy – “Law as a Change Engine” delivered at the 2010 Annual Legal Workshop of the Nigeria Association of Muslim Law Students, Lagos State University; and Electronic Evidence – “The need for Nigerian Jurisprudence to meet up with Technology and Commerce”
- “An Overview of Anti-Corruption Laws in Nigeria” at ACPA Annual Compliance Training Programme, Dubai, UAE-27th-30th June, 2011
- “The Role of the Lawyer in the Nigerian Electoral Process” at the Young Lawyers’ Conference 2011. “Subverting the Scourge of Corruption in Nigeria: Our Role as Future Lawyers” delivered at the 2011 Final Year Seminar and Award of the Faculty of Law, University of Benin
- “The Investment and Securities Tribunal as a Dispute Resolution Mechanism (DRM): The Efficacy of Sections 284 and 289 of the ISA 2007” delivered at the Seminal Discuss of the Investment and Securities Tribunal (Lagos Zonal Office) - November 2011
- “Objection to admissibility of extra-judicial confessional statement not video recorded or made in presence of defendant’s counsel section 9(3) of the administration of criminal justice law Lagos state 2011 and section 29 of the evidence act 2011 x-rayed” delivered At the two day workshop by the Continuous Legal Education Committee of the Ikeja Bar Association, on the 29th day of April, 2013. Using the interplay between civil and criminal remedies to maximize recoveries opportunities in Nigeria delivered at the International Asset Recovery Conference on the 5th of November,2013.
- “Preferring and Quashing bare charges, holding charges, ‘Remand Charges’, Federal High Court – How, when, effect, limitations, propriety of dispensing with the physical presence of the accused, defendant during ‘quashing of charges proceedings’ (specimen charges and specimen processes included”: Presented at the two day interactive seminar organized by the Continuous Legal Education Committee of the Nigerian Bar Association, Ikeja Branch – April 2015
- “Anti Corruption and Bribery Laws: Territorial Applications and Lessons for Businesses and Government Agencies”: Presented at PUNUKA Attorneys & Solicitors’ annual lecture – April 2015
- “Nigeria, EFCC & Money Laundering": Presented at the Seplat Petroleum Company Ltd. Staff Training – May 2014
- Distinguished Graduate - Law Students Association University of Benin (4th September, 2007);
- Distinguished Old Boy Award – Old Students Association, Baptist Academy (76/81)
- UNIBEN Alumni Lawyers – 3rd Senior Advocate of Nigerian Faculty of Law, UNIBEN (19th December, 2006)
- Merit Award – Ansar Ud Deen Society of Nigeria & Overseas, Ogun State Council (9th August, 2009)
- Outstanding Merit Award (NAMLAS) Lagos State University Chapter (8th April, 2010)
- Merit Award, J.A.U.I.N, National Body (26th July, 2009); Patron, Muslim Association of Nigeria (2009)
- Merit Award - I.E.F., Lagos State (15th August, 2010)
- Award of Excellence – Gani Fawehinmi Students' Chambers, Faculty of Law (2009/2010)
- Distinguished Alumnus Award – UNIBEN Alumni Association (Worldwide) Nov. 2010
- Distinguished Lawyer Award, Nigeria Bar Association, Ikeja Branch, April, 2012
- Distinguished Jurist Award presented by the Nigeria Association of Muslim, Law Student (NAMLAS)
- Award of Excellence presented by the 2013 class of University of Lagos (August 16, 2013)
+ International Conferences Attended
- 1997 - IBA General Conference (New York)
- 1999 - IBA Section on Business Law Conference (Boston)
- 2005 - Euromoney Legal Training 2005 (London)
- 2007 - IBA General Conference 2007 (Singapore)
- 2009 - IBA General Conference 2009 (Madrid)
- 2010 - IBA General Conference 2010 (Vancouver)
- 2011 - IBA General Conference 2011 (Dubai)
- 2012 - IBA General Conference 2012 (Dublin)
- 2013 - IBA General Conference 2013 (Boston)
+ Membership of Associations and Clubs
- Member, The Nigeria Bar Association
- The Chairman, Building Committee, Nigeria Bar Association, Ikeja Branch and Committee on Law Reform/Legislative Advocacy of the Lagos Branch of NBA (The Premier Branch).
- Co-Chairman, Panel B Disciplinary Committee of the Nigeria Bar Association and a member of the Finance Committee of the Nigeria Bar Association
- Member, International Bar Association
- Member, Institute of Chartered Arbitrators
- Member, Bank Directors Association of Nigeria
- Member, Institute of Directors, U.K
- Member of The Nigerian Law Students Association Executive Council, University of Benin (1985)
- UNIBEN Alumni Association
- Member, Crescent Bearers (1939)
- Member, Ikoyi Club 1938
- Also culturally and as a mark of identity with his Kinsmen he is the President of the "EYO LABA" by virtue of which he has unrestrained access to the Oba (King) of Lagos, Nigeria.